Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Beer Bread

I've been obsessing about baking bread for eons now, and have given into the urges despite the poor equipment I have here and the lack of recipes. Basically, this means that I have reconstructed by memory the recipe for beer bread, which uses beer as the rising agent instead of yeast. It creates a dense, small loaf that has a nice beer-y taste. I have made two loaves so far, one using beer, the other hard cider. Both have been good, and satisfying to make, though neither would win prizes in the context of other homemade breads done with recipes and mixing bowls, etc.

My recipe is:
Combine 1 1/2 cups each of white and whole grain flour (the types of flour and relative proportions are up to you, as long as the total is approximately 3 cups). Add approximately 1 teaspoon of salt. Mix ingredients together. Pour in one bottle of beer or cider. Fold until the flour has absorbed some of the liquid. Add approximately one tablespoon of oil (I use olive oil). Continue folding the flour into the liquid until all of the ingredients stick together. Put the dough into a well-oiled pan or pot (I am using a small sauce pot, but the original recipe had me using a bread tin). Dust the top with something interesting: I've been using sea salt, but you could also do seeds or rolled oats or herbs. Bake for 45 minutes in a pre-heated oven at a little bit shy of the oven's hottest temperature (probably 450 F, though my oven is in Celsius and therefore gibberish). Let cool for a while before cutting.

I plan on experimenting with attempts to let the dough rise for awhile for the next loaf. Don't know if it will do anything though!

No comments: