Tuesday, August 14, 2007

More on Ibis

I posted a picture of an Ibis early on. But I have to say more about them.

I got my luch at the fish and chips stand next to the Imax theater on Darling Harbour. There is a flock of Ibis that live nearby in the palm trees next to a little water feature in the Darling Harbour horribleness. The birds pictured in that post are part of that flock. In addition to Ibis, the usual seagulls and pigeons hang out here. Not at all surprising, since there is lots of food (since there are lots of people) and it is near the water.

So on my way to lunch I saw a man sitting on a bench feeding the birds. And it was a flock of sea gulls, maybe a pigeon or two, and an Ibis. The Ibis was joining in enthusiatically pecking after bits of sandwich bread, and apparently in character Ibis are like gulls and pigeons and are considered by some to be pests. But the darn thing just looked so charmingly ridiculous, trying to fit in with the gulls with its long legs and crazy beak.

I guess you had to be there, but I really do love these birds!

No comments: