Friday, August 15, 2008

A new project

I got thinking last week about the annoying habit of Sydney neighborhoods reusing the same handful of historically significant names to name their streets. As a result you can't just get into a cab and say, for example, 12 Macquarie Street, please. The cab driver will have several choices to select from, and you can't be sure that he will make the right choice.

I am trying to make a concerted effort to spend a part of every weekend exploring Sydney, and I thought that one way to organize the exploration that would get me into some random corners of the city is to go around taking pictures of all of the places in Sydney that have the same address as I do. Since this is the public internet, I'll be coy about the street name, but by a quick count of the list in my street guide, I have something on order of 34 places to visit in the Sydney metropolitan area. I suspect that it is slightly less than that, since there is also the problem that some areas have more than one neighborhood name attached to them. For example, my office is in both Broadway and Haymarket "suburbs."

The post above this one is my first foray on this project, 62 Balmain.

No comments: