Saturday, July 19, 2008

Happy Anniverary, Me


I landed at the Sydney International Airport last year today with more bags than I could carry and no clue as to what I was getting myself into.

It has been a year full of travel and beautiful landscapes and new things and wonderful people and intellectual stimulation and personal growth. Lots of loneliness, homesickness, missing of friends and family and normal food and normal English and the comfort that comes from understanding the nuances and unspoken meaning of what is occurring around you, too. I am still astonished that I live in Australia (Australia!). I think the next step of my life here will involve getting over the self-image of a shell-shocked, fresh-off-the-boat new arrival and start to learn what it means to have a life here.

Anyway, it is a quiet celebration here. The Pope is in town and it doesn't seem worth venturing outside and battling pilgrims, so I am huddled in my red blanket and Tasmanian hat trying to stay warm. Have I complained here yet about how the concept of heating seems to have passed by the Antipodes??

No comments: