Thursday, November 29, 2007

Things that go bump in the night

I just went out to return some (probably overdue) library books tonight at around 10 pm, and ran the gamut of nocturnal animal and insect adventures.

First off, I saw a beautifully constructed spiderweb in the light of my porch with a proud little spider sitting at its heart, smack in the middle of the arch over the path to the gate. Fortunately, the little guy seems to have constructed it well, with no anchors down, and it is just high enough to pass under.

Then as I was about to reach my gate (this is all of 3 steps, mind you) I saw a HUGE spider suspended in mid air. Fortunately, he was not over the path, so again I could pass unmolested.

When I got to the library, I think I saw my first flash of Aussie possum moving out of sight. They are furrier than the US version and therefore more appealing. I was so excited about the possum that I ran smack into a big spider web with a big spider in it. Full forehead full of silk. Fortunately, the spider stayed out of my hair.

I walked very carefully home.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I sure do love looking at spiders and their webs. From a distance.