Friday, November 16, 2007

Sydney styles

I was out tonight for one of the first times in the hip night club area of Surry Hills for the birthday celebration of a coworker. Nightclub districts are distinctly not my style and I usually feel horribly schlumpy and unfashionable. Not so here. There were the fabulous drag queens and punks with hardcore mohawks, but in general, I felt like I was in a Soho (the architecture and decor of the area are pretty hip) that had been mysteriously taken over by New Jersey teenagers circa 1983. On my way home, I was walking behind a girl dressed in a leather jacket with huge shoulder pads, a silver lycra mini skirt, opaque black tights and, pulling together the ensemble with a je n'e sais qua flair, 3 inch white leather pumps. Oh yeah, she had a nice high perm and I could just imagine the blue eye shadow and chewing gum. She was representative of the sample, too.

I suppose I probably was schlumpy and unfashionable, but I was okay with it.

No comments: