Thursday, October 4, 2007

More on the local fauna

Yesterday I got some warnings from my officemate about spiders and moths. Apparently in the summer, the moths come, sometimes in plague-like swarms, and munch holes in all of your clothes. There are two on the ceiling right now and really quite a lot flying around the garden near my open windows and I hope they don't find my clothes until I can figure out how I want to cope.

Apparently, the poisonous spiders in Sydney are small and harmless-looking. The officemate doesn't like to kill spiders--in Finland it is considered bad luck, and besides, they eat other pests--but when in doubt she does kill spiders here. Apparently the bad ones also hang out in places where one is likely to reach with blind hands too.

I think the Bill Bryson book talks about a museum dedicated to all of Australia's poisonous beasts. I should go and get educated.

No comments: