Sunday, September 9, 2007

Laundry

I have a new washing machine. It is indeed another example of Aussies imitating Brits (well, maybe also has something to do with not wantonly consuming water and energy, but hey): like the British models, a full hot water load will take 2 hours and 57 minutes. Fortunately, there are shorter options, one of which I couldn't resist trying. So I now have clean sheets (which weren't very dirty to begin with so the 30 minute wash plus an extra 14 minute fast spin was sufficient).

And yes, I read a very useful econ article during the wash, so my hookey wasn't quite so brazen.

Then I tackled hanging my laundry. I have actually line dried laundry before (I have even handwashed all of my laundry routinely in Italy, but decided that was more than I am willing to do here), but still, it is a bit daunting to live without a drier. I find the idea romantic, but the reality a bit less so. Or at least, it is harder than it looks, and I felt decidedly unromantic while wrestling the sheets on to the line. Made all the worse because of course there was an old man standing on the one balcony with a view of my back yard, smoking a cigarette and watching the show.

Fortunately the sun is back out and it is windy today. Hopefully I'll get to sleep in some wonderfully fresh sheets tonight!

No comments: