Sunday, August 5, 2007

Preliminary accommodations


I really do intend to write here regularly. One reason I haven't is that internet connection at home is terrible. I happen to have my laptop at the office today, so I can post some of the pictures I have been meaning to share.

First things first, I have to complain about my temporary apartment. It is horrible in a sneaky sort of way. The set up of the building is bizarre: it is a converted woolshed, now a hotel with residential apartments mixed in. All of the rooms are around a vast interior atrium with each floor a web of catwalks to the individual apartments. Most strange of all is the second floor, which is actually where I most often leave the building. (There are exterior catwalks to transport and easier access to Harris St., which is where all the shops are). This is the floor where there is actually floor, rather than catwalk. And, in keeping with the attempted illusion that this is a courtyard rather than a hallway (all of the apartments have widows that look out onto it), apartments on this floor have strange little fenced in areas around their doors. Some people have put lawn furniture out there. But it is hideous! The light is weird and there is constant blowing sounds, probably from the ventillation system. The picture here is of this second floor.... gross!

No comments: